Saturday, February 02, 2008

The Milestones

Last night Keara and I saw the Hannah Montana Movie. I was concerned because Keara has never been able to handle movies. They usually are too loud, too crowded, to warm, too something. Keara has needed to leave in the middle of movies and we have just not made seeing them a priority. She is often scared even watching shows like The Backyardigans. So this was also a test of sorts. She has wanted to go to a concert now for quite some time but because I am not willing to leave in the middle of a concert (I know I'm mean) she needs to be able to handle it. And for those of you that do not know what handle means, let me try to explain. (Although to truly understand you would need to witness this first hand. Trust me until you do, it is unreal. Her teachers that have not seen it, say things like "I cannot imagine" or "she is just so sweet". Those that have seen it, say things like "Oh yeah, she definitely LOST it" or " I wouldn't have believed it, if I hadn't seen it." I just laugh because well I LIVE it daily. ) Handle simply means to control her worst impulses at least while we are in the moment. This could be anger, like a chair being thrown across a room, or it could be the shrill that can deafen you, or it could be the urge to *grind* as in certain private areas, or it could mean hiding under a table. There are many possibilities but none are appealing. Anywhoosen, back to last night. I watched her watch the movie, because it was like watching her take her first steps or eat ice cream for the first time. She was dancing and singing and her little tic was on overdrive (again, something you have to witness first hand...she has a spazzy little tic with her hands that is truly engaging to watch.) She was NOT bothered by the noise, or the crowds or the other two dozen sensory issues that normally make her batty. She just enjoyed the show. Again, to some this doesn't seem like much but for me it is so awesome. A couple of months back we had a Family Fun Night. Keara has never done well with these. This one was for the Kindy and PreK. So as you can imagine the activities are geared for them. Well we bought the kids each 10 tickets (went a really long way). You could go on rides or get food or play games. Keara decided to go in the air jump room thingy (no idea what they are called). She has NEVER been able to last the entire time in there...not only did she last but she enjoyed it. I was the mom on the side CRYING! You see, if you have never, in 9 years, seen your little girl do something fun without worry and just being a kid, you cannot understand how wonderful it feels. Last night was another one of those moments. I just don't get them very often and it is so great. She is hitting some milestones...now if they would come more often! But I will cherish every little bit I can.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jenni,
So glad to hear from you! I have read your blog a few times but felt weird commenting since I haven't talked to you for so long. I thought you might think I was some weird stalker. I think I found your link through Jeanne's site. So glad to hear Keara is doing so well. What an awesome mommy momment for you. Please keep in touch. I miss you guys!
Erica